Tuesday, September 21, 2021

Hiking

We hiked in the easy lake forest

To connect away and to hide from the heat 

My eyes caught a small dark shadow 

Cross the foliage before my feet

Oh! A toad I shrieked as I bent down 

Seven or eight again to catch it

Like I always do

My excitement met with silence 

Looking up you were gone. Gone!

On the pavement you walk so slow 

In the woods I can’t keep up 

With your oddly fast strides 

I remember all the times I asked you to stay

Maybe I should’ve asked you to come 

For now it’s a shadow of guilty sadness

When I lament the peaceful relief 

Of times when you were not near me

What kind of person feels like this

Like a hollow coconut shell 

All the meat pulled out 

In the sand in the sun with the water so close 

Unreachable like the day that maybe I died





No comments:

Post a Comment