Friday, January 19, 2018

Pieces of Mine-Chapter 2


Mom told me Grandma died

I was 8 

I went downstairs

Danced around the pole

In the unfinished basement 



The pole was always cold

It always felt different than me

Leaning my cheek against it

Many times, for solace

During hours in my make-believe world 



I ran around that pole

Many times, until I cried 

I don't know if I was sad

Or just crying because

I thought it the best thing to do 



I went to my room

Laid on my back

When Jennifer died. 

Mom was sitting on the floor

Reading about it in the paper. 



When my other grandma died,

I don't remember crying. 

I was older, numb to her,

Since her stroke

The natural course of things. 



Stage in my life

Only vaguely aware

What my feelings were,

What their names were

That they were mine. 



Guilt not seeing her

More than one time

Over 10 years ago.   

Unfulfilled imposed obligation

Or sadness. 



Once in a bookstore

In a mall

She bought me Snoopy the Flying Ace

I told her

Mom called her senile. 



I didn't know

What that word meant,

Doomed, I shouldn't have mentioned it. 

My own young children

With mouths and minds.

No comments:

Post a Comment