Thursday, February 10, 2022

Gutted

I laid the white bellied fish down
With my whole hand 
On the canvas covered table 
Under the cold light 
And the harsh shadows 
From the branches over my lonely head
Making a precise slice like the sharp
Line of a fresh hard pencil on thick paper
Letting the water run through the hose
As we made the necessary extraction
Hot blood flooded over my entirety
As I accepted this harsh turn
This stop sign the locomotive 
As I looked up and collided
Won’t know until I awaken, 
Wash my face, sweep the floor
Have I slid safely under the cars
Or been completely obliterated 
Never never never
Never never never never never
As there is rock in the soil
And an uprooted evergreen still grows
The mountain goat is steady on the face
While the bald eagle 
Makes a rare appearance
Cover these shoulders and these eyes 
With the long blast of the shower
Comforted only by the slow 
Dying stink bug on the window pane
As this page becomes wet
Streaked with ink stains



No comments:

Post a Comment